We collect data about you when you use this website. We do this so that we can understand what interests people and how we can improve the site. We share some of this data with third parties who provide us with analytics and other services.
You have rights over what is done with data that is about you. You can contact us at [email protected] if you want to get a copy of that data. You can also ask us to update it, delete it or stop using it.
What data do we collect and why?
When you join the mailing list, we ask for and keep the following:
- your email address, so we can contact you
We store this data until you unsubscribe from the mailing list or you contact us at [email protected].
We collect data as you use this website about:
- what pages you access, so that we know what content is popular
- any non-sensitive text you enter and your mouse movements, so that we can improve the user experience
- the device and software you use, so that we know how to design the site
- your location, so that we know where in the world we reach
We do not link this back to your email address and we only store it in aggregated form.
How do we use this data?
We use this data to:
- contact you in response to a request by you or to provide information that we think you may want
- understand what the users of our website need so we can improve it
We do not use it for any automated decision making.
How do we share this data?
We share this data with a few third parties, who process it to give us better understanding.
- Google Analytics, to analyse the users of our website
- FullStory, a service that allows us to collect information that will help us improve the user experience of the website.
We have made sure the third parties who are not in the EU protect the data to the same extent as companies in the EU.
We may also need to share this data with the authorities if they ask us to do so.
What rights and control do you have?
Because we operate in the UK, you have rights over the data that we collect. You can:
- ask for a copy of data we have collected about you
- ask us to update that data
- ask us to delete it
- ask us to stop using it
If you ask for a copy of data we have about you, we have to provide it to you free of charge. You can ask us to send it directly to a third party. We have to provide it in a commonly-used machine-readable format.
Please tell us if you have concerns about how we collect, use or share data about you. You can also raise your concerns with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
When might this policy change?
Who can I talk to about this policy?
The data controller for this website is Open Data Institute of 5th floor, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG. Our data protection officer is Leigh Dodds.