What is OpenActive?
Lack of access to high-quality open data in the sport and physical activity sector is a barrier to getting people active. OpenActive helps to address this.
OpenActive helps to tackle the problem of inactivity by helping its community members to publish standardised open data on physical activities and to promote innovation in making it easier to find and book these opportunities online.
From abseiling to zumba, all kinds of organisations publish data about activities, for anyone to access, use, and share. OpenActive provides the standard by which these organisations can share their data. These organisations include Everyone Active, GLL, and many more. You can find activities on their websites.
Publish your data
If you are an activity provider and want to share your data sets on physical activity, OpenActive can help you standardise that data and connect it with the relevant apps for people to find activities.Find out more
Use open activity data
If you have a platform, app or are a developer, OpenActive’s functionality allows your customers to publish open data about their activities. This data can then be easily used in products and services that help people to find and book activities.Find out more
The OpenActive community have created and actively manage a set of data standards for the sport and physical activity sector:
- The OpenActive Activity List, a curated vocabulary of around 700 activities for use as reference data in apps, systems and tools like activity finders.
- The OpenActive Opportunity Data Model, which specifies how data about opportunities for sport and physical activity – events, places, activities, organisations, etc – can be consistently shared and reused.
- The OpenActive Realtime Paged Data Exchange (RPDE) specification, which provides a mechanism to allow systems to synchronise database states in near-realtime, supporting the booking use case.
- The Open Booking API, for placing bookings to participate in physical activities, either by attending events or through the use of leisure or sports facilities.
- The OpenActive Route Guidance specification, a data model to support the publication of data describing paths and trails for recreational use.